This was my first shoot at a showroom, and it quickly dawned on me that I’d be spending quite some time editing the images after. There were two reasons why…
Unlike being in a studio, at the showroom I had no control of the lighting and as I was shooting in the middle of the afternoon, I had to make do with what was already in place. Due to this, I spent countless hours in post-production getting rid of unwanted flares and reflections.
The second issue I faced was with the cars themselves. I hadn’t planned to pack a microfiber cloth as I assumed (as one would when cars are in a showroom!) that they’d be spotless. Yet, zooming into the photos, I noticed some minor details - such as watermarks - that affected the overall quality of the image. Thankfully this was nothing major but it did set me back some time in Photoshop – I’ll be making sure that I pack my microfiber cloth next time!
The final alterations I made to the images were to de-clutter them. The shots looked too busy, primarily due to the fact that I was focusing on a very small area of the showroom. Ironically when seeing the showroom in reality it looked and felt spacious, light, and clean which I wanted to harness in the shots I’d taken.
The shoot went well overall and I was very pleased with the images I’d produced. As with all things first time, there were a few hiccups but nothing that couldn’t be fixed with a bit of photoshopping!
Leave a Reply